August 2017 General Membership Meeting Minutes
Montessori School of Fort Worth
Chris Holbert, President, called the meeting to order at 3:05 with about 55 people present. He thanked Amy Henderson and everyone at Montessori for hosting.
Chris called for a motion to approve the minutes. Anne Hufstetler put forth the motion, seconded by Allan Pennington and approved.
Officer Pennington, NPO, introduced himself. He said that there is no news as far as crime because it has been very calm. The people at the end of Piedmont have been evicted and are moving out. Rick Irvine who lives across the street thanked Officer Pennington for helping with the situation. Mike Burkhart asked about speeding with the speed bumps gone on Clayton. He recommended getting a license plate number and he will go talk to them.
Reminder to walk on the side of the street facing traffic for safety.
As of September 1st, texting and driving will be illegal.
Resident asked about the corner of Clayton and Angus and the running of the stop signs. Officer Pennington will keep his eye on it with school starting.
For residents interested in outdoor cameras, he recommends the Nest outdoor camera. They can be registered with the police department.
Amy Shackleford spoke briefly regarding Monning Middle School. The principle is concerned about the lack of community involvement and interest in the school. She introduced Ms. Kilpatrick, the new incoming principle of Monning. There is a transition camp, Community Impact Day, Thursday, August 10th. The incoming 6th graders from the three feeder Elementary schools will come to Monning for the day and have a camp to kickoff the school year. That way, the kids will know kids from other campuses on the first day of school. They are looking for male community leaders to lead the kids during the camp. Monning is looking for more community and corporate support for the school.
Chris Holbert, President: Thanked everyone for 4th of July Parade for the fantastic event with 30 floats. The Ridglea Area Neighborhood Alliance has been officially formed. RANA will work with the JRB and Camp Bowie District on various projects. The first event was at Buffalo West who donated food. Race Track Gas Station has their alcohol license hearing this month, and RHNA will support the license. They will start building soon. Lidl is a few permits away from starting construction in the old Kroger building.
Matt Allan, Vice President, thanked everyone for attending.
Julie Miers, Treasurer, said that we have a healthy balance of $22,024.56 checking, $17,030.09 savings. We will be getting our projects committee together to spend some of this money on Neighborhood improvement. Please send us your ideas.
Amanda Wear, Secretary, if you are not receiving emails, please go to RidgleaHills.com and subscribe to the email list.
Anne Hufstetler, Events, RHNA did shut the dam down for the July 4th weekend fireworks for safety purposes and provided additional security. The Luther Lake residents are greatly appreciated for providing the fireworks show each year. It is a great RH tradition. Randall Archie approached RHNA about a parade for Independence Day and with Officer Pennington’s help, provided an excellent parade. The goal is always to have the cost of events completed covered by sponsors. We made money on the parade.
National Night Out – First Tuesday of October, the 3rd. The Arnt Family is hosting it this year. Save the Date.
Halloween in the Hills is Sunday, October 29th. We are actively looking for sponsors. This is our biggest event and is a great advertising opportunity.
Councilman Brian Byrd introduced himself as the new City Councilman. He said that he has had a few calls about panhandling on Camp Bowie. He recommends calling 911 to get an officer to handle it. DO NOT GIVE MONEY. Secondly, regarding Camp Bowie headed west past Clayton Rd: he has had meetings with TxDot about putting in street lighting. He has asked for an offer for the city of Ft Worth taking control of Camp Bowie, but he does not like it because it would be extremely expensive to take care of it. He will continue negotiations with them. Regarding Race Track and Lidl, because they are within 1000 feet of school, they will need a variance to sell alcohol. It should be approved.
Regarding the multi family zoning request on Ridgehaven, it was denied and Councilman Byrd does not support multi family developments.
Benbrook Bridge: the city wants to put a bridge across the river to provide emergency services due to the increased traffic on 377. Byrd opposes the bridge due to the impact on property values in Meadows West. Both sides of the river are Benbrook property and the City of Ft Worth can in reality due nothing to stop the bridge. Byrd brokered an agreement between the fire and ambulance to provide services to Benbrook, but the citizens are adamant against Ft worth police taking care of them. Benbrook will put it to a vote to the residents in Mont Del Estates and surrounding neighborhoods.
Property Tax Rate: Byrd believes we need to cut the tax rate to adjust for inflation. He knows of at least two other councilmen who are on board with cuts. The number one issue in the campaign was property tax relief and he will fight for it.
Road repairs: Ft Worth has grown so fast, we’ve had to spend road money on building new roads. There is a bond election in May 2018 that two thirds is for streets and roads.
Rick Irving spoke briefly about Citizens on Patrol. We just have a handful of people patrolling and they could really use the help. We desperately need volunteers. Speak with Officer Pennington on see the website for more info.
Next meeting will be October 15th or 22nd and will be our last meeting of the year. The executive committee is finishing our two year term and a nominating committee will be formed.
Meeting was adjourned at 4:40pm.